Thursday 24 February 2011

happy

Today was my formative assessment at uni, and we had to present the work that we've been doing since october to a group of second years. I was pretty nervous about it and I am sure my face went a lovely shade of ruby, but I think I got through it ok. It was nice to see the work of other third years who I don't usually get to see but at the same time it was nice to have some familiar faces to calm me down! I remember being in the presentations in second year and thinking, man, I am not looking forward to doing that! and now that it's over I feel so relieved. Another hurdle over!

Currently I am working on a children's book - that's right, a children's book- they're chipping the ice from the gates of hell as we speak! Joking aside though, as much as I was afraid to even go near a children's book, when my aunt asked me to illustrate her story it was such a lovely story I really believed it needed to be done and today I feel like I'm going to do it some justice. I've been working on it for about three weeks and I have a couple of dummy books and huge pages of colour studies, and I think it's going in a good direction! Might even enter it into macmillan if I am confident about it.

Here are a few character studies I have done for the main protagonist, Daisy. I used lots of different materials and tried to be quite free as I was told to loosen up, and I think it's working.

Daisy doing a bit of ballet.
Time to play pirates!


Overall I'm feeling quite good about illustration at the moment. I am also very excited about our New York trip that's coming up after Easter! I am mentioning this now because I found out yesterday that there is to be an exhibition of the late great Alexander McQueen's couture in May, and it's going to be held at the Met in New York when I am going to be there! Which makes the trip a million times more exciting, can't wait to go. (The BBC have done a great slideshow of some of the pieces that'll be featured, check it out here)

Shall post up some more colour studies and maybe some page layouts soon. And I might also treat you with one of my 6's, more news on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment