Thursday 30 September 2010

birthday

So here I am back in Falmouth. Time for a new term, some new work (hopefully a feast for your eyes too!) and my final year of being a student. Hopefully it will be a good one!

Before I left home, it was my friend Amber's 17th birthday, and as a birthday treat I decided that in the tradition of now two years I would make her a birthday cake. This was my first time decorating a cake using rolled icing, so it was an interesting task but I think I pulled it off. It really did taste like a proper child's birthday cake, the exact effect I wanted! I had decided to decorate it with piped decorations and to add a personal touch I made alphabet biscuits spelling out her name and age, a recipe I got from Nigella Lawson's book, How To Be A Domestic Goddess. I finished it off with Dolly Mixtures, Marshmallows and of course Seventeen Candles. Here she is with the candles lit...


And the finished product!


On actual drawing terms, I had an idea today. In our new kitchen in our new house, we have a chalkboard on our door. I have started drawing random things on it, and so I may start a blog of chalkboard drawings. Nothing serious and particularly taxing in terms of drawing excellence, but I thought it might be kind of fun. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment